Friday, December 17, 2010

Initial final thoughts

Just finished my final workout with Patrick. The progress I have made with pullups is tangible; knocked out three sets of ten with minimal struggle, completely unimaginable a few months ago. 90 second challenge took me about five attempts before I could get through a full freestyle set on three targets without missing. THAT is all a mental game, especially with Patrick encouraging and giving subtle pressure from the sidelines, timer in hand!
Afterwards we checked progress: vertical jump higher by several centimeters, flexibility way, way up, core solid with abs and torso feeling solid and looking good.
The real test will be tomorrow, when I take my promotion exam. Been gearing up for it all year, and in fact one of the main reasons I started pcp and kfb was to be prepared for this test. Will write more about it tomorrow, but I already know that pass or fail I will never be more prepared than I am now.
Not to say this kfb has been perfect, though. Part of the problem is timing: end of year party season is a tough time to stick with a healthy diet and exercise program. But I can't blame external factors only. The real issue is that I know exactly what slacking on the diet or skipping some exercises will do, so I easily justify to myself that I can make up for today's shortcuts with extra effort tomorrow. Sometimes I got it right, paying it forward allowed me to indulge today without being a finicky party-pooping curmudgeon. But more often than not I couldn't catch up and had to pull myself out of potential death spirals. All in all a good lesson, reinforcing what I learned on pcp and re- establishing my badly lacking humility.

1 comment:

  1. 5 mins for no-miss is pretty good. I had one poor soul in there for 35 minutes once. No mercy.

    ReplyDelete

Share yer wisdom!