Wednesday, September 22, 2010

day 3, aka what the hell is wrong with Tully's?

Woke up at 5am, turned off the alarm, rolled over, stretched...woke up again at 6am. Doh! That's what I get for staying up until 1am reading.
Managed to drag my lazy ass outta the futon and into the living room. Knocked out some jumps and the rest of the workout with minimal fuss and a wee bit of sweat. Tried the push-ups with wider and wider hand placement until the last set really, really hurt. Also did all the sit-ups with my legs in the air. Happy to report 40 crunches is easy. Sad to report still can't see the six-pack anyway.
Family got up and daughter wanted pancakes, so I made some for her, and then she threw a random tantrum and ate some frozen apple juice, leaving the pancakes nearly untouched. Sigh...such is the logic of a three year-old. Her little brother was minimally interested in the pancakes, too, and instead decided to eat one of the fruit packs I prepared for my snack to take to work. He also gnawed a few chunks out of my apple, though he never seems to actually eat it. He just likes biting off chunks, chewing on it for a bit, and then spitting it out all over the floor, table, and himself. Such is the logic of a one year-old.

And here's why Tully's sucks: we have a Tully's in the office. Like, literally IN the office; behind the security doors, right off the trading floor, other side of the client meeting rooms. Even get a nice employee discount. So yesterday I went in and asked for a tall decaf. They said they only have short decaf. OK, that was not the response I expected. So I waited around for the typical 5 minutes and received a short cup of decaf. Not bad; tasted like Tully's coffee, I guess. I don't actually know, since I don't drink "real" coffee. However when I got to the bottom of the cup, it was covered in several milimeters of what can only be described as sludge. It appears that whatever powdered instant decaf coffee they use is in fact more than enough to make a tall, but they stick it in a small cup, add hot water, and make me wait for 5 minutes, during which time most of the coffee sludge fails to dissolve into the water, leaving a grainy, greasy, oily residue at the bottom of the cup not unlike the oil-washed marshlands of Louisiana must look like.
Starbucks, on the other hand, makes me wait five minutes whilst they take actual ground, decaffeinated coffee beans and let hot water drip through them, making a pot of decaf coffee, of which I can have whatever size I desire, without any gnarly residue at the bottom.

3 comments:

  1. GROSS!!! What is wrong with that place??? That's a deal-breaker in my book. Screw them and their instant decaf non-tall coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude that sludge is there because they make the decaf in a french press! That's good stuff man! Starbucks does the same thing in the smaller branches. YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got discounts? I always thought that they actually marked it up for the convenience of being in the office...

    ReplyDelete

Share yer wisdom!