Tuesday, November 9, 2010

dumb and dumber

Got my flu shot yesterday. Not terribly concerned about the flu, but if I can avoid giving it to my kids, that helps.
For several days my left triceps area will be nice and red and swollen; totally normal reaction to the flu shot. Happened last year, too.
Went to fighting at lunch.
Did lotsa punches.
Dumb idea.
Left arm hurt quite a bit.
Now I know why the doctor says to avoid exercise for a few days.
I also bought new cheap pair of boxing gloves.
That suck.
I got what I paid for!
Used them for one session and then gave them to Macchan who doesn't have her own gloves.
So she was happy.
After fighting, on Sensei's recommendation, went to the ghetto sports shop in Shibuya, above the pachinko parlor, under the boxing gym.
Dropped Big Money on a proper pair of Mexican bag gloves, in blue.
These gloves make me awesome.
Will head to the mother ship this evening to work out with Patrick, which I have not done in almost forever, or at least a couple weeks.
On the one hand, I am a bit wary; I know I will weigh in high. Last week was bad, diet-wise. Too much sugary Starbucks, too many snacks and diet deviations. I can tell my gut is a bit wider than it should be.
Then again, I can REALLY feel my core solidifying. The six-pack (on top of the inner gut fat) is gnarled and hard, and I also noticed this afternoon some serious lines running diagonally, external obliques I think.When I tense up my gut and suck in the fat, I feel some solid muscle or something which I am guessing is the transverse abdominis...will confirm all this with Patrick.
But the point is I am sure I have put on some fat, but I am just as sure I have really strengthened muscle. My legs all of a sudden feel really strong; maybe running that 10k was the proof I need. And during balance poses I just feel very stable and centered. Waking up in the morning I can just sit right up, no issues, no hassle. My tanden just feels solid, grounded, stable. Walking around, I can feel my leg muscles and shoulders are tired, but I am alert, upright, and stable.
I remember when Patrick said it's tough to measure the KFB results. Unlike PCP, you can't just measure core strength, flexibility, and stability. But I can certainly feel the change!

1 comment:

  1. The best thing is that core strength sticks around forever with hardly any maintenance.

    ReplyDelete

Share yer wisdom!