Thursday, November 11, 2010

persimmons

A magical fruit, really, the humble kaki. (Not to be confused with kaki.)
The magic of modern geneering even brings us seedless versions.
Sadly nothing can be done about the skin. I would love to able to eat a whole kaki, skin and all, like an apple. But alas it is too thick and tough.
I would love to be able to peel a kaki, tool-free, like an orange. But alas it is too thin and weak.
Generally I just quarter the beast, then bite out as much meat as I can and keep noshing until I have a ridiculous kaki-skin smile over my teeth.
I have tried peeling, using both knives and peelers.
I generally end up leaving too much meat attached to the skin, which is one of those ridiculous things that annoys me greatly (all that wasted food!) and makes me a miserable person to spend any amount of time with (peeling fruit, specifically.)
I also discovered that the dark brown innards are the sweetest, and when over-ripe and mushy, it's easy enough to simply cut open the top and spoon out the slimy sweet innards, leaving nothing but an empty husk, jack-o-lantern style.
Kaki and and western pear bits and slightly mushed banana, with a drizzle of honey and a sprinkle of cinnamon...yummy...

1 comment:

Share yer wisdom!