Monday, November 15, 2010

weekend recap

So the wife was out on Saturday, leaving me on single-parent duty. Kids both got flu shots on Friday so weren't feeling great, but a friend from school was having his 4th birthday party, and that needed attending.
Loaded the kids onto the bus and headed down to Shibuya, then walked to the park, getting lost and finally arriving thanks to excellent navigational instructions from my cell phone.
Kids ran about, slid, dug, popped baloons, looked at the fish, fell down, etc. for a couple hours until the required amount of snot was running and it was getting cool as the sun started to dip.
Walked back to the (closer) station and took the train back to Shibuya, then the bus home.
Son passed out in his stroller on the train, daughter started nodding off in my lap on the bus. Managed to get them both home and on request ordered pizza (and pasta, and sausage, and gnocchi, and a spinach salad.)
Son woke up just as the food arrived. Kids ate like they had never seen food before. I had some sausage and spinach salad and no-cheese thin-crust pizza. Yeah more carbs than necessary, but I had walked all damn day, hardly ate, and was bonding with my kids.
Into the shower, pajamas, teeth brushing, and to bed. Son not interested, so back to the couch we go to watch TV. Daughter promptly passes out. Son still not having any of it, crying for mom (aka breast milk). Hold him for about 20 minutes in the dark bedroom until he figures out he ain't gettin' none. Lay him down on the futon, chant Kaigyoge to him about 50 times, and he is snoring. (Works every time. I mean, what's more boring than listening to Buddhist sutra chanting?)
Get daughter off the couch and install her into futon, too.
Retire to kitchen table, surf teh internets until wife comes home. Duly impressed, she rolls a natural 20 and I get double Husband Experience Points, immediately leveling up and earning a +1 Laptop of Sharpness.

Sunday, I get up reasonably early and deep wide forward bend forever whilst checking email. I rented a tango dance studio up the street for two hours, so head over to practice iai for the first time in forever.
This is Totally Awesome.
Whatever core building KFB has done for me, my iai is absofuckinglutely rock solid.
I feel totally light on my feet but am effortlessly thumping heavy on every cut. And due to the low ceiling in the studio, I am in deep stances or on my knees the whole time, feeling stable, solid, centered, and generally ass-kicking. All those goddamn leg swings are totally paying off. Can also feel the strength in my back and shoulders, and on top of that had no tension; I was loose, smooth, and light, yet fast and heavy. It was the best workout I have had in a very long time, and has convinced me KFB is on.
Recently, been in the "middle third" valley -- more than half-way, but not quite near done yet. Sticking to the diet is tough, though I know exactly what's happening, and plowing through the exercises sometimes is a chore. BUT, FTSP! I don't care that I could stand to lose another couple kilos on the gut to rock the chiselled abs. More importantly, my iai is better, my posture is better, I feel strong and agile and generally fit.
Sure, I'd like to LOOK better, too. But for now, given the choice between having the six-pack and eating the extra chocolate with my cinammon and honey apple slices...

2 comments:

  1. Balanced life = happy life. But do buckle down and show me your stuff at the onsen challenge. I'm getting serious from here on out too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's this onsen challenge?

    Ren, I totally share your feelings all the way around....

    ReplyDelete

Share yer wisdom!