Thursday, October 14, 2010

dinner...fail?

At the last minute, got invited to a dinner buffet reception for some college student potential recruits. Didn't have a dinner bento, so I went in search of a free meal. Indulged in a lovely salad with sashimi (some kind of tasty white fish) and seasonal grilled veggies. This being October, lots of starchy sweet potato, pumpkin, and rencon. Interspersed eating with various chats amongst the students whilst sipping a couple of iced teas...and eating three slices of pizza...WTF?!
I could try blaming my brain, but that's kind of ridiculous given that it is in fact MY brain; not like someone tied me down and force-fed junk food into my mullet.

This is what happens when I let a little slack into my discipline; a long weekend of a bit too much at dinner, an extra snack here and there...and before I know it I am eating pizza.

I don't necessarily consider it a failure and there is no point in feeling guilty or beating myself up.
In fact, it makes me re-assess my goals on KFB. 10 pull-ups is a cute way to measure...something. But why not eight? Or fifteen?
I think being a really "skilled person" for me means coming back on path. I stray often, sometimes badly, but there really is no back-tracking, no lack of progress. For I don't have a destination per se; there is no end-game of perfection, of healthy enough, of fit and done.

My goal is to pace entropy; to stay at least even with, if not out beyond the bleeding edge of the ever-expanding event horizon that is the universe's unceasing progression in four dimensions towards chaos.
Basically: keep moving.
Forwards, backwards, it is all relative to here and now. Stay balanced, focused, strong, lean, hungry, motivated. Or become bloated, lethargic, insensitive, laggard.
The point is to be moving stillness. To be balanced and yet in constant motion, action.

It is not about a perfectly executed jumping kick, 100 punches a minute, or a rock-solid crane stance.
It IS about running five K and knocking out the day's workout before a healthy and fulfilling breakfast, then getting the kids fed, dressed, and to school, adding value and doing good at my desk for 12 hours, then cracking wood in the dojo, getting 6 hours of sleep, repeat, and spending the weekends keeping 25+ kilos of children engaged, entertained, and happy without having any mental nor physical breakdowns.

THAT is my skilled life.

So FTSP! Today I blew it. Now I sleep.
Soon I wake up, put on the running shoes, make some effort and expel some sweat and keep moving. Balance is not a static state. It is constant flux, over-compensating one way or the other. Life is a pattern, like the potential orbits of an electron; not a place, an action, with a stable mean. There is no wrong, nor fail, nor bad, there is only movement, adjusting, correcting, over-compensating, striving for the asymptote that is: skilled balance.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you Ren, you have thoroughly explained how I view not only this program but also my entire life .

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice, ren, very nice. words of wisdom indeed. i like the phrase "skilled balance."

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no blame and there is no guilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to know the ten thoughts that you had before the pizza went down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To be honest, I was so NOT thinking about the pizza...I was surrounded by college students, being peppered with questions and answering between mouthfuls of whatever. Completely the wrong way to eat; no "mindfulness", which is a sissy Zen way of saying I was too busy doing other stuff to pay attention to what I was eating. Which means I really should NOT have been eating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Ren, so helpful as I negotiate my way through the post-PCP world!

    ReplyDelete

Share yer wisdom!